Thursday, July 23, 2009

Committment, Gratitude, Dependence



So I've been reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot called "Let Me Be a Woman." I look up to her after what she survived. Her husband was Jim Elliot, on the pilots killed trying to ministry to the Indians of Ecuador.
She wrote this book to her daughter as a gift to her right before she got married. On one of the chapters she talked about the kind of commitment necessary for a married couple to stay together, forever.

"There is a whole world of difference between those who look only for their own happiness in this world and those who know that their true happiness lies in the will of God.

"When they encounter trouble they know where to turn, for they know that they are still under the command of God, they are not forsaken. They know that they are insufficient in themselves,. that human love breaks down, and that there is never a point at which they can say, "We've arrived," and are no longer in need of grace.

"You know, I am sure that your love is a gift. and if it is a gift you are grateful to the Giver. To acknowledge your gratitude to Him is also to acknowledge your dependence on Him, to acknowledge above all the authority of Christ. THAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO BEGIN A MARRIAGE."

I understand why so many people who don't believe in God, have no moral foundation, and have nothing to lean on outside of themselves get divorced. Marriage is to big a thing for us to be able to accomplish it effictively completely on our own.
What I don't understand is the huge number of believers who decide to get divorced. This number frightens me, and I want to make sure that I am constantly, always, continually leaning on my Rock so that I can be the partner that He desires me to be. One that is forgiving, selfless, and thankful, each and every day.

No comments: