Thursday, January 1, 2009

What is an idol?

We tend to read the Bible and imagine that bending our knee to an idol means kneeling before a golden statue, one set up in a temple.
Did you know that there are many other things that we can set up in our own lives as idols?

An idol can be anything that sets itself up as more important than God in our life. It is something that we strive for, are motivated by, love, devote time, energy, and effort to.

If we seek anything over and above God in our life, than we struggle with idol worship.

Is there anything in your life that threatens to wiggle itself in place of God in your life? When you make a decision, what is it that you use to determine what you will do:
Is it how much it will cost, how it will impact your reputation, how others might view you if you do this thing?? Instead of whether or not God and his word told you to do this thing.

Idols can look very different for different people:
Money
Cars
Friends
Prestigue
Position
Good grades
Security
Always being in fashion
Boyfriend, husband, wife
Buddha statue

What is it that you worship?

"Lord, I pray that I will worship you and you alone. I pray that I will seek you first and always and that I will lean on the rock of my Salvation. Please help all other things that compete for the first position in my heart and life fade away. I am yours.
-Amen"

No comments: