Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Clip from chapter 34: Letting Go


I opened my eyes, afraid, yet expectant. The walls were white, the sheets were white, and the bandages concealing my left arm were white. A steady beeping pulsed behind me.

My right arm hurt worse than my left, and I studied it, twisting it back and forth to examine the small needle taped to my wrist. I twisted to look behind me and watched the steady dripping of the liquid in the clear plastic bag attached to my arm. A large monitor beside the bag recorded my heartbeat.

I heard a rustle on my sheets, and I turned forward, noticing the ruffled, blond head lying on my bed. I watched as Mark slowly lifted his head and stared into my eyes. The intensity of his gaze spoke volumes.

Still silent, he drew his hand toward me and carefully picked up the hand partially concealed by a cast. He squeezed my fingers, brought his face closer, and kissed my fingers with his warm lips.

I became aware of the throbbing of my heart within my chest as the monitor behind me started beeping. Mark opened his mouth and a slow smile spread across his face. My stomach did a flip-flop before it rested again.

“Should I leave, Sadie, so you can get some rest?” Mark chuckled.

I shook my head adamantly from side-to-side.

He brought his head near my fingers and gave them another kiss, this time holding the position for several seconds. Our eyes locked.


1 comment:

ShutterSpeed said...

I think you are very wise, and creative, to but clips of your book on your blog.
I have done the same.
Thanks for sharing!