Monday, August 17, 2009

You are in a marathon...

I went to the Harvest Crusade Saturday night, and I was hit, as I often am at such incredible events, how much Greg Laurie has been able to accomplish in his lifetime. I desperately want to make a difference and looking around at the thousands of people crowding every seat of the Angels stadium made me yearn to accomplish significant things. I began comparing myself with him and others like him, and I began to get sad, realizing that compared to him, I have done so few things during my lifetime.
Like a flash of inspiration a thought burst into my mind that I believe was put there specifically by God. God told me to be faithful, today! Life is a marathon, not a sprint. I need to focus on today, being obedient, hard working, loving, and patient one day at a time, and my lifetime goals will follow.
A speaker who came to Biola said something I won't forget that we should focus on finishing well. It's great to be fired up and passionate for God the first year you're a Christian, but how much more significant to continue to be fired up and passionate year after year after year, until the Lord takes you home.
Thought to leave you with: Many people overestimate what they can do in a year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.
Set goals, live for eternal treasures, and be faithful, today! ;-)

1 comment:

ShutterSpeed said...

You're right, life is marthon, not a sprint. I need to focus on that. Thank you, your insights are eye-opening.