Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Darkness

SYNOPSIS*

My Darkness is a novel about sixteen-year-old Sadie who has the ability to see another world. Tormented by a depressive demon of darkness and a manic foster brother, Sadie’s life is a string of rejections and close calls until she meets Mark, her mysterious admirer. Her life begins to turn around, but she faces violent opposition at every turn, including a threat from her brother to leave home immediately or else. With the attacks intensifying, will Sadie survive long enough to embrace the truth, uncover the mysteries surrounding her foster brother and Mark, and escape from the Darkness that surrounds her?

CLIP*

“This is a war, Sadie. The opposing side doesn’t lose lightly. They’re going to put up a fight, every step of the way. They don’t want you to read that book. There are answers in there that they’re terrified of your discovering. They don’t want to lose their grasp on you. I’m going to try my best to help you, but they’re stronger than you, for now.”

I heard a click as he ended the call. I stared into the phone and whispered, “Mark, who are they? Why do they want me?” I closed my eyes to stop the tears from coming.

All at once, the intense pain in my thigh subsided. I stared down at my Darkness, stunned into frozen silence as I watched a huge gash appear on his shoulder. He turned and hissed and pulled out his claws the rest of the way from my leg. He brought his spindly fingers to his shoulders and covered his wounds. He gazed around the room for the attacker. I followed and found him standing by the door, thick, golden sword in his hand. He was posed in the position I’d come to recognize: palms up, eyes serene, head tilted back. The Guardian of The Book. He’s in my room, guarding my reading of the book.

“For as long as I remember I've been hurting; I’ve taken the worst you can hand out, and I've had it. Your wildfire anger has blazed through my life; I'm bleeding, black-and-blue. You've attacked me fiercely from every side, raining down blows till I'm nearly dead. You made lover and neighbor alike dump me; the only friend I have left is Darkness.”

1 comment:

ShutterSpeed said...

Wow! It is very well done and impressive, it leaves one craving more. Even me, who has already read it! I was wondering, how has your book coming along (in terms of publishers intrests)? Is there something I can pray for you for? Perhaps a hopeful oppurtunity is arising?